Medical Preparations will be highly important if the present system ever fails, especially unexpectedly. Many believe this is a distinct possibility in the coming days/years. The following is a step by step list of what you may want to do to take care of yourself and your family, should the medical care you have access to now ever goes bye-bye...
1. Make yourself aware of what it means to lose access to care (and all goods & services) - now. Imagine being unable to get help for anything medical. Nothing can be done until you know it needs to be done; both denial and deception are ways you could be caught unaware & unprepared to "take care of yourself" should it turn out that you NEEDED to prepare for "system down" possibilities in the future. "Knowledge is Power" & there are just some things you can't do without - medical care is certainly one of these things, for each of us. Knowledge often begins with awareness first. Do NOT just believe it's always been there for you, so it will always be there in the future; this is how most people get "shocked" or caught off guard by bad things coming, and with this one particular issue, that "shocked" can be both serious and forever for those adversely affected, etc.
2. Construct & maintain a "group" of trusted persons who can assist you (as you should assist them) in times of serious trouble, should it occur. Start living in cooperative "community" now. The world is now too dangerous to "go it alone" - period. Do not forget "Security" issues - should the Police become inoperable or unavailable, etc. (A good trip to any 3rd world country can teach you this and other lessons better than any book or website can!)
3. Make medical lists for each person in your family (or group) that details - Medications now taking (incl. dosages & schedules), Allergies, Past & Present Medical Conditions (this is one of the most neglected and difficult processes we must go through with every new patient at our urgent care office), including even Test Results, Surgeries, Procedures, past everything...all written down for the "medic" to have whenever needed in the future.
4. Begin procuring extra medications you now take (and all "durable goods") to "stash" as a safety net excess in case access to care is a thing of the past, someday abruptly. Keep all supplies rotated, monthly, and keep only fresh medications - in a cooler of some type for preservation.
5. Lose Weight now. For the vast majority of our population, this is excellent advice. Get a medical workup/evaluation - from a licensed MD only - before you do this, however. If overweight, you need at least an EKG before you begin this weight loss effort. You'll do better, feel better, function better, last longer - without extra "poundage" aboard any upcoming supply shortage, during any possible crisis.
6. Begin to Excercise. Note: Do this only after "clearance" by your regular doctor (EKG needed 1st, at least); sudden exercise has caused many to have sudden heart attacks in the past. Get into shape - safely!
7. Diet. Learn how to eat properly. Eat more Vegetables & some Fruits. Eat Less Carbohydrates than the average (fat) American does today.
8. Get immunizations now. Tetanus/Diptheria is necessary if out of date. Pneumovaxx for some would be a good idea. If the SHTF, we can expect more BUGS to arrive on scene, absolutely! Speaking of which...
9. Cleanliness is Paramount. Plan to have a way to "clean up" when the lights go out in Georgia...and Tennessee...and everywhere. It's not that hard to do (although getting a shower in Haiti, while we were there only a week or two at a time, was VERY difficult), but without resources it may be more difficult. Plan to be able to live in a safe place without any electricity for some time, cleanly.
10. Dental Care. Most Doctors know that if your dental health is bad, then so is your whole health...bad as well.
12. Consider "Prepping" for upcoming societal disasters - Food, Water, Shelter, Security, Medical & Health (including Psychological). Just because you've never seen a "third world country" or feel you may be immune to the hardships that occur there...doesn't mean you are or it can't happen right here, to you - fast. Ask, "What if..." concerning all things you normally do in your everyday life; find a way to get these things for youself - without electricity, running water, income, normal everyday "help" you have from others operating in our present society, etc.